These donuts are super cheerful and tasty, and surprisingly simple to make in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it’s easy to customize this baked donuts recipe with nearly any color and flavor combinations you like!
– 1 white (or yellow) cake mix – 1 egg – 1 cup milk – ¼ cup butter, melted – 2 teaspoons vanilla – additional flavoring/extracts, optional – food coloring, 5 different colors as desired
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Apply cooking spray to your donut pans and set aside. 2. In a large bowl, add the cake mix, egg, milk, melted butter, vanilla and any desired flavorings. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated. 3. Divide the batter evenly into the five bowls.
4. Add a different color of food coloring to each bowl and stir to combine. Start with 1-2 drops for a light color. Add more coloring, 1-2 drops at a time, until you achieve your desired shade. 5. Add the colored batter from each bowl into its own piping bag or ziplock bag. Cut the corner/tip off of your piping bags.
6. Carefully pipe a small amount of each color of batter into a 1/5 section of each donut shape in the pan. Alternate colors so each donut has one evenly-sized section of each color. Only fill the pan about ½ full to allow for rising during the baking process. 7. Bake the donuts for about 7-10 minutes total. NOTE: To ensure the beautiful rainbow colors stay visible, you don’t want the tops of the donuts to brown. Check the donuts early and often to prevent overbrowning.
8. Remove from the oven and allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 2-3 minutes. NOTE: If you remove them too soon, the donuts may break apart. If you wait too long, they may stick in the pan. 9. After cooling slightly, flip the pan over the parchment paper and tap firmly to release the donuts. If any get stuck, gently run a knife or small spatula around the edges.
10. If desired, you can add a glaze or icing to the donuts after they are fully cooled. Optional Glaze Recipe: – 2 cups powdered sugar – 1/4 cup milk – 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring(s) – Dash of salt
For more sweet treats, be sure to visit ThreeSnackateers.com!