Crunchy and gooey, sweet and nutty Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are an elevated version of traditional Rice Krispie squares that the whole family will love.
They’re easy to make in just minutes with a handful of ingredients, and this recipe is great to customize with your favorite extra goodies!
Fun and Tasty Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Loaded with crispy, crunchy Rice Krispies cereal and ooey-gooey melted marshmallows, Rice Krispie Treats have been an American snack staple for generations.
We’ve upgraded classic Rice Krispie squares by adding rich and creamy peanut butter to the mix. This new twist on your favorite childhood treat is just as easy to prepare, but tastes even more wonderfully indulgent than the original version.
What Ingredients You Need to Make Rice Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter
There are only 4 ingredients needed to make the most fun-tastic peanut butter Rice Krispie treats recipe at home:
- Mini marshmallows
- Peanut butter
- Rice Krispies cereal
I use mini marshmallows to make my peanut butter Rice Krispie treats recipe because they are the easiest to melt. However, you can also use large marshmallows or even marshmallow cream if you like.
If you do use large marshmallows, I suggest that you first snip them in half with kitchen scissors or a knife to help them melt faster.
For handy conversion:
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows is equal to 8 large ones.
- One 7 oz jar of marshmallow cream is equal to 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows.
Even More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
- Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats
- Fun & Easy Rice Krispie Treats for Kids
How to Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
It only takes about 20 minutes and a few simple steps to make this Rice Krispies treats with peanut butter recipe. The kids will love to help with this one!
- First, prepare a large 9×13 inch pan by spraying with nonstick spray or greasing with butter.
- Next, in a large pot over medium-high heat melt the butter and peanut butter together, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- Once combined turn the heat down to low and add the mini marshmallow to the pot. Stir until the marshmallows have just melted, making sure to not overcook. Pour in the Rice Krispies and use a spatula to gently stir and fold until the cereal is completely coated in the melted peanut butter and marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the coated cereal to your prepared pan, and lightly press to make an even layer.
Let the treats cool at room temperature before slicing with a sharp knife.
Variations of This Recipe
There are lots of yummy ways to customize this recipe for making Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter. For starters, use your favorite type of PB – smooth or chunky varieties both work well!
Need even more peanut butter goodness? Add in Reese’s Pieces, chopped peanut butter cups, or peanut butter chips along with the Rice Krispies cereal.
Make these even more decadent by including chocolate chips, some chopped CBD chocolate, or you can even swap regular Rice Krispies with Cocoa Krispies. Melt some chocolate chips with a bit of vegetable or coconut oil, and drizzle over the peanut butter Rice Krispie treats.
And for super duper thick treats try making this peanut butter Rice Krispie treats recipe using a square 9×9″ pan. Just be sure to grease all the way up the sides of the dish!
Tips for Making the Best Rice Krispie Treats With Peanut Butter
Wondering how to make peanut butter Rice Krispie treats that are soft, gooey, and slightly crunchy? Here are a couple of key tricks to note for creating foolproof Rice Krispie treats every time…
- For the tastiest squares be sure you use fresh marshmallows that have not gone stale, and do not overcook them when melting. Cooking them too long will cause the Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter to be extra dense and hard.
- Along with greasing your pan, it helps to add a layer of parchment paper to the bottom. Then the treats can be more easily lifted out before they are cut.
- Spray your fingers lightly with nonstick spray or dip them in water before lightly smooshing the treats into the pan. This will help keep the peanut butter Rice Krispie mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter taste best when eaten fresh the same day. But they can be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for another 2-3 days.
- ½ stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and peanut butter over medium-low heat until combined.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat. Pour the cereal into the pot. Gently stir until all of the cereal is fully coated.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Lightly press so you have a nice even layer throughout the pan.
- Allow the treats to cool before cutting.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats have the best taste and texture when eaten the same day, but can be stored in airtight container for 2-3 days.