Crunchy and gooey, sweet and nutty Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are an elevated version of traditional Rice Krispie treats that the whole family will love.
In this version, we make a few tweaks to the back-of-the-box Rice Krispies Treats recipe. The original recipe is great, but it can be made so much better with almost no effort (and a little peanut butter!)
These treats are easy to make in just minutes with a handful of the usual ingredients like butter and marshmallows. Plus this rice krispy treat recipe is great to customize with your favorite extra goodies.
The Best Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats Recipe You’ll Ever Try
This is the perfect peanut buttery rice krispy treats recipe for a few reasons.
It contains just the right amount of marshmallows, rice krispies cereal, and butter. The ratio of cereal to marshmallows makes a big difference. It literally makes or breaks a rice krispie treat!
Add in a splash of vanilla extract and some of your favorite peanut butter for the fastest, no-bake rice krispie treat that never disappoints!
More Peanut Butter Recipes
– Reese’s Peanut Butter Snack Mix
– Reese’s Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
Fun and Tasty Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Loaded with crispy, crunchy Rice Krispies cereal and ooey-gooey melted marshmallows, Rice Krispie Treats have been an American snack staple for generations.
We’ve upgraded classic Rice Krispie treats by adding rich and creamy peanut butter to the mix.
This new twist on your favorite childhood treat is just as easy to prepare, but tastes even more wonderfully indulgent than the original version.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat Recipe Ingredients
There are only 4 main ingredients needed to make this easy peanut butter Rice Krispie treats recipe.
- Salted Butter
- We use salted butter, but unsalted can be substituted if preferred.
- We use miniature marshmallows because they melt really quickly. See the next section for more information on types of marshmallows to use.
- Peanut butter
- We used creamy peanut butter in our recipe, but you can use chunky if you prefer. You could also try a natural peanut butter or alternative nut butter such as cashew butter.
- Rice Krispies cereal
- We use classic Kellogg’s Rice Krispies, but you can use any crispy rice cereal
- This is an optional ingredient, but highly recommended.
A Few Notes About Marshmallows
Marshmallows are one of the most important ingredients when making rice krispy treats. Follow these easy tips to ensure you make a perfect recipe every time.
Use Brand Name Marshmallows
Typically, using a brand-name product like Jet-Puffed Marshmallows will result in a better quality end result.
There usually isn’t much of a price difference between brand name and store brand marshmallows. So if you can, upgrade to a better quality product.
Use Fresh Marshmallows
Always use fresh marshmallows in your rice krispy treats. They should be soft and fluffy. If you start out with old, expired, stale or hard marshmallows, you’ll end up with hard, dense treats.
Use Mini Marshmallows
I use mini marshmallows to make my peanut butter Rice Krispie squares because they are the easiest to melt. However, you can also use large marshmallows.
If you do use big marshmallows, snip them in half with kitchen scissors or a knife to help them melt faster. Use can lightly spray the scissors or knife with non-stick cooking spray to prevent a sticky mess.
Can I Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats With Marshmallow Fluff?
Yes, you can. Substitute one 7 ounce jar of marshmallow cream for 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows in the recipe.
MARSHMALLOW CONVERSIONS GUIDE when making rice krispie treats:
– 1 cup of mini marshmallows is equal to 8 large ones
– One 7 oz jar of marshmallow cream is equal to 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows
Even More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
- Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats
- Fun & Easy Rice Krispie Treats for Kids
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats With Peanut Butter
Prep time is only about 20 minutes for this recipe. And it’s a great one for kids to help with because it’s a quick, no-bake recipe.
Step 1: Prepare Baking Pan
First, prepare a large 9×13 inch baking pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Melt Butter and Peanut Butter
Next, in a large saucepan over medium heat, add peanut butter and butter. Stir to mix thoroughly.
If you’re adding in vanilla extract, now is the time to add it in. Stir to combine.
PRO TIP: For an even more intense flavor, try using browned butter. You’ll want to make the brown butter before adding peanut butter to it.
Step 3: Add Marshmallows
Once combined turn down to very low heat and add the mini marshmallows to the pan.
Stir gently with a rubber spatula until the marshmallows have completely melted. Be sure not to overcook or you will have hard rice krispy treats.
Step 4: Add Rice Krispies
Next, pour in the Rice Krispies. Use a spatula to gently stir and fold until the rice krispies cereal is completely coated in the melted peanut butter and marshmallow mixture.
If you prefer, you can also have your cereal in a large bowl and pour the peanut butter marshmallow mixture over the top.
Step 5: Press Rice Krispy Treats Into Pan
Transfer the coated crisp rice cereal to your prepared pan. Gently press the peanut butter rice krispies treats to make an even layer. Pressing too hard can also result in hard, dense treats.
Step 6: Cut and Serve
Let the rice krispie treats cool at room temperature before slicing with a sharp knife.
Rice krispy treats are always best if enjoyed the same day you make them.
But you can store rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy the leftover treats within 2-3 days.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe Variations
Add Even More Peanut Butter
If you really love peanut butter, there are lots of yummy ways to customize this recipe for even more peanut butter flavor.
- For starters, use your favorite type of PB – chunky or creamy peanut butter both work well
- Peanut butter lovers will be extra pleased if you add in Reese’s Pieces, chopped peanut butter cups, or peanut butter chips along with the Rice Krispies cereal.
Try Sea Salt
Try adding a sprinkle of sea salt to the top of your treats for an unexpected flavor burst.
Chocolate and peanut butter are a perfect pairing. Check out these delicious ideas to incorporate chocolate into your peanut butter treats.
- You can even swap regular Rice Krispies cereal with Cocoa Krispies or other chocolate rice cereal.
- Melt some chocolate chips with a bit of vegetable or coconut oil, and drizzle over the peanut butter Rice Krispie treats.
- Follow the steps in this recipe for chocolate chip rice krispie treats if you want to add some chocolate chips to your peanut butter treats.
- Make your treats even more decadent by including chocolate chips or some chopped CBD chocolate.
- After you cut into squares and remove from the baking pan, dip them in melted chocolate. Learn how in this chocolate covered rice krispie treat recipe.
Make Extra Thick Rice Krispy Treats
For super duper thick treats try making this peanut butter Rice Krispie treats recipe using a 9-inch square pan.
Just be sure to grease all the way up the sides of the baking pan so the squares will pop right out after cutting.
Tips for Making the Best Rice Krispie Treats With Peanut Butter
Wondering how to make peanut butter Rice Krispie treats that are soft, gooey, and slightly crunchy? Here are a couple of key tricks to note for creating foolproof Rice Krispie treats every time…
Why are my Rice Krispie treats hard?
For the tastiest squares be sure you use fresh marshmallows that have not gone stale, and do not overcook them when melting.
Cooking them too long will cause the Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter to be extra dense and hard.
Why are my Rice Krispie treats falling apart?
If your crispy treats are falling apart, it could be for a few different reasons.
- Be careful not to overcook the marshmallows. After you melt the butter and marshmallows, remove from heat or continue on very low heat.
- Over-mixing is a bad thing! Don’t over-stir the mixture once you’ve added the cereal.
- Gently press the treats into the pan, but not too hard. You don’t want to pack the treats down too hard.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- After you cut into squares, remove carefully from the baking pan. Along with greasing your pan, it helps to add a layer of parchment paper to the bottom. Then the treats can be more easily lifted out before they are cut.
How do you keep Rice Crispy Treats from sticking to your hands?
Spray your fingers lightly with nonstick spray or dip them in water before lightly smooshing the treats into the pan. This will help keep the Rice Krispie mixture from sticking to your hands.
How do you keep Rice Krispie treats fresh longer?
Rice Krispie treats taste best when eaten fresh the same day. But they can be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for another 2-3 days.
Do Rice Krispie treats need to be refrigerated?
No, Rice Krispie treats should be stored at room temperature.
Why are Rice Krispie treats bad for you? Are Rice Krispies treats a healthy snack?
Most Rice Krispie treat recipes are not very healthy. They contain butter which is high in saturated fat. If you use salted butter, it will also increase your sodium content. Marshmallows are high in sugar.
However, with a few tweaks you can make a healthier version of Rice Krispie treats that still taste great.
Depending on your preferences and dietary concerns, you may want to try some of the following ideas that will really make a difference when it comes to fat, calories and nutrition per serving.
- Use unsalted butter if salt or sodium is a concern
- Use a gluten-free rice cereal
- Use a brown rice cereal version instead of regular Rice Krispie cereal
Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Without Marshmallows
Substitute the marshmallows for almond butter and maple syrup. Mixed together they create a sticky mixture that can serve as a substitute for marshmallows.
We hope you enjoy this easy recipe made with simple ingredients. The addition of peanut butter to classic rice krispies treats is the only way to go if you’re a peanut butter lover like me!
Save it for later on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. Also join our Facebook Group for more snack fun!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Crunchy and gooey, sweet and nutty Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are an elevated version of traditional Rice Krispie squares that the whole family will love.
- ½ stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and peanut butter over medium-low heat until combined.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat. Pour the cereal into the pot. Gently stir until all of the cereal is fully coated.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Lightly press so you have a nice even layer throughout the pan.
- Allow the treats to cool before cutting.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats have the best taste and texture when eaten the same day, but can be stored in airtight container for 2-3 days.