Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats are an extra special twist on classic Rice Krispie squares. They’re fun party snacks that are easy to make and perfect for customizing with your favorite colors and sweet goodies, like sprinkles or chopped nuts and more!
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
Remember those classic Rice Krispie Treats from when you were a kid? This easy recipe takes homemade Rice Krispie squares and dips them in melted chocolate for an even sweeter special treat. Add your favorite goodies like sprinkles, or chopped nuts and/or candy bars, to make these as a decadent party snack or fun dessert.
What Ingredients You Need to Make Rice Krispie Treats Dipped in Chocolate
These chocolate-dipped delights start with a traditional Rice Krispie treat recipe, which includes just a handful of familiar ingredients. To make a batch crispy and chewy Rice Krispie squares that are perfect for dipping you need:
- Mini marshmallows
- Vanilla extract or paste
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Chocolate chips
If you don’t have mini marshmallows feel free to use kitchen shears or a knife to cut full-size marshmallows in half. Or you can even use jarred marshmallow cream for an even easier recipe. If you’re planning to substitute, it’s handy to know:
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows is equal to 8 regular marshmallows.
- A 7 oz. jar of marshmallow cream equals 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows.
Additional Toppings for Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
After dipping in melted chocolate it’s fun to cover these treats with even more sweet toppings. We’ve added bright colorful sprinkles for a whimsical party snack – you can use whatever colored sprinkles you like for coordinating with your party theme or holiday.
Here are other toppings you can add to your Rice Krispie treats dipped in chocolate:
- Full-sized or mini M&M candies
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts – like peanuts, walnuts, or almonds
- Chopped candy bars – like Butterfinger, Twix, Heath Bars, Kit Kats, etc.
How to Make Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treats
For the best flavor, I recommend that you prepare these treats the same day or at most a day or so before enjoying. This easy no-bake recipe is great for making with kids, and is done in just a few simple steps:
- First, make classic Rice Krispie treats by combining melted butter, mini marshmallows – plus vanilla! – in a saucepan over low heat before pouring over a bowl of Rice Krispie cereal.
- Mix to coat the cereal, and then gently press into a greased 9×13″ pan. For extra thick treats, you can also use an 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan.
- Allow the treats to cool, and then cut into squares or any shape you like. Use cookie cutters and get creative!
- When ready to dip, microwave the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe dish for 10-15 second intervals. Stir the chocolate between bursts until smooth and creamy. If the chocolate seems a bit too thick for dipping, add 1 teaspoon of coconut or vegetable oil, microwave again, and stir.
- Next, dip each of the cooled and cut Rice Krispie treats into the melted chocolate. Give the treats a little shake to get rid of excess chocolate, and gently place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle with goodies or leave plain and allow the chocolate-dipped Rice Krispie treats to cool and harden.
Variations of This Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
This fun-tastic snack recipe is great for customizing with different goodies and colors. You can add any of the toppings mentioned above and more!
- Use different cereals – like Cocoa Krispies or Fruity Pebbles with a white chocolate coating
- Try my yummy 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats as the base for your chocolate-covered treat. For true PB fans, you can finish by adding chopped peanut butter chips, Reese’s Pieces or Peanut Butter Cups.
- Use your favorite chocolate(s)- like milk, semi-sweet, dark or white chocolate. You could even try a CBD chocolate! A 50/50 mix of chocolate and butterscotch chips also tastes amazing.
- Change up the color of your chocolate covered Rice Krispie treats by using different colored chocolate melts candies. You can dip the treat in just one color or drizzle with one or more colored candy melts for a fun pop of color.
- Add some flavor using an oil-based flavoring. They will sometimes be called candy flavor or chocolate flavoring. If you use a water-based or alcohol-based flavoring, your chocolate will seize up and turn into a lumpy mess. To be sure you have the right kind, check to see that oil is the first ingredient and it does not contain water.
- For a super cute party favor, make chocolate-dipped Rice Krispie treats on a stick! Just insert a sturdy food-quality stick through the center of each pop after cutting and before dipping.
- Serve on a platter with the stick facing up for your guests to grab.
- Or package them in cellophane wrappers and tie them with color-coordinated bows for a sweet lollipop look.
Here are More Rice Krispie Treats recipes for you to try:
- Fun and Easy Rice Krispie Treats for Kids
- Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats
- Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treats
- Use fresh marshmallows and don’t overcook them (the result will be hard treats).
- Press the treats very lightly into the pan – pack too hard and you’ll get dense/hard treats.
- Grease AND line the pan with parchment paper to easily remove from the pan.
- Spray your fingers with cooking spray or dip in water to help prevent the treats from sticking to your fingers.
- Texture and taste are always best the same day you make them. Transfer the Rice Krispie treats dipped in chocolate to an airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
- ½ stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (1 bag)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add the marshmallows. Stir often until the marshmallows are melted and totally incorporated with the butter. Do not overcook or you’ll have hard treats!
- Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and pour in the cereal. Gently fold in the marshmallow mixture until all of the cereal is fully coated.
- Transfer the cereal mixture into the greased pan. Lightly press the mixture so you have a nice even layer throughout the pan.
- Allow the treats to cool, cut them into any size squares you like.
- Next, add the chocolate chips into a small bowl. Microwave in 15-20 second intervals stirring each time until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. If the chocolate seems too thick, add about 1 teaspoon of vegetable or coconut oil until the chocolate is shiny and stirs easily.
- Dip each Rice Krispies treat in chocolate and lightly shake off any excess chocolate. You can dip just the top or dunk half of the bar into the melted chocolate. If desired, add sprinkles to the top while the chocolate is still wet.
- Place the dipped treats on a sheet of wax paper to set up. Allow the chocolate to harden before serving.
- Use fresh marshmallows and don’t overcook.
- Press very lightly into the pan – pack too hard and you’ll get hard treats.
- Line pan with parchment paper to easily remove from the pan.
- Spray fingers with cooking spray or dip in water to help prevent sticking.
- Texture and taste are always best the same day you make them.
- Make them extra thick, use a 9x9” pan.