Upgrade your favorite Rice Krispie treats from childhood by adding mini chocolate chips, or nearly any sweets you love!
This easy Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats recipe is a fun snack for all ages – and is great to customize with lots of delicious, decadent goodies.
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
What’s better than a chewy, crispy, gooey classic Rice Krispie treat? All that goodness PLUS chocolate chips!
These Rice Krispie treats are made with mini chocolate chips on top and mixed inside, and have an oomf of sweetness that really make them extra special.
But they are just as easy to make as the original Rice Krispies cereal squares recipe, no matter what goodies you choose to include.
What Ingredients You Need to Make Chocolate Chunk Rice Krispie Treats
Nothing fancy needed here. This chocolate chip Rice Krispie treats recipe uses the same ingredients as traditional Rice Krispie treats, plus – well, obviously – chocolate chips.
Here is the full list of what you need to make next-level ooey-gooey crispy cereal treats:
Variations and Other Goodies You Can Include
Feel free to get creative with your batch of chocolate chip Rice Krispie treats. Here are just a few fun ideas for changing up this recipe:
- Swap mini chocolate chips for full-size chips or chocolate chunks.
- Use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch, or even peanut butter chips. Or, include chopped CBD Chocolate.
- Try other candies like M&Ms, mini peanut butter cups, Reese’s Pieces, or any of your favorite treats.
- Change up classic Rice Krispies cereal and instead use Cocoa Pebbles or Fruity Pebbles to make chocolate chunk Rice Krispie treats. In fact, you can use my 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats or Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats recipes as the base for adding whatever chips or candies you like.
- Dip chocolate chip Rice Krispie treats in homemade chocolate ganache, like these Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats.
- Balance the sweetness of Rice Krispie treats with chocolate chips on top by adding a sprinkle of sea salt as you mix the ingredients together.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
This no-bake recipe makes super yummy Rice Krispie treats with chocolate chips on top AND mixed in with the crispy rice cereal. It’s easy to prepare in just a few basic steps, and treats are ready to enjoy in only about 20 minutes.
And while this recipe is for roughly 12 chocolate chunk Rice Krispie treats, you can easily cut in half or double for your needs!
Here are the simple steps to make the best chocolatey Rice Krispie treats from scratch:
- First, grease a large 9×13″ inch pan with nonstick spray. Then melt the butter in a large pan over medium-low heat on the stove.
- Once the butter melts, reduce heat to low and stir in the mini marshmallows. Keep stirring as the marshmallows melt, making sure to not overcook or burn the mixture – you’ll wind up with hard treats!
- Next, stir in the vanilla. Turn off the heat, and pour in the crispy cereal. Fold the cereal in with the marshmallow mixture to fully coat.
- Wait a few minutes until the cereal and marshmallow are cool enough to touch before stirring in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. IMPORTANT: Don’t add the chocolate too soon or it’ll melt. Your treats will still be delicious, but they won’t look so pretty!
- Use a spatula to transfer the marshmallowy cereal to the prepared pan. Gently press the treats into place so they are even. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips, and lightly press them into the tops of the Rice Krispie treats.
Allow the Rice Krispie treats with chocolate chips on top to cool completely before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.
Be Sure to Try These Rice Krispie Treat Recipes, Too!
- Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
- Reindeer Rice Krispie Treats
- Fun and Easy Rice Krispie Treats for Kids
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Rice Krispie Treats With Chocolate Chips on Top
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows, feel free to swap with a jar of marshmallow cream or large marshmallows. I just suggest snipping them in half with kitchen shears before melting. Here are some handy conversions for you:
- 8 large marshmallows = 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- One 7 oz. jar of marshmallow cream = 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows
- Whether using large or mini marshmallows, make sure the marshmallows are fresh and not at all stale. And again, do not overcook them when melting.
- Be careful to only lightly press the Rice Krispie treats into the pan. The harder you pack them the harder and denser they’ll be.
- It helps to line the pan with parchment paper to easily remove the treats.
- If using your hands to press or form the chocolate chunk Rice Krispie treats, lightly spray your hands with nonstick spray or dip your fingers in water to keep the marshmallow from sticking to you.
- Rice Krispie treats with chocolate chips taste the BEST when enjoyed the same day they are made. However, they’ll stay yummy for up to 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- ½ stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1.5 cup mini chocolate chips
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add the marshmallows. Stir often until the marshmallows are melted and totally incorporated with the butter. Do not overcook or you’ll have hard treats!
- Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and pour in the cereal. Gently fold in the marshmallow mixture until all of the cereal is fully coated.
- Allow the mixture to cool until cool to the touch. Add 1 cup mini chocolate chips and stir again gently to incorporate. IMPORTANT: If you add chips too soon, they will melt instead of holding their shape.
- Transfer the cereal mixture into the greased pan. Lightly press the mixture so you have a nice even layer throughout the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of mini chips on top of the treats and press them gently into the bars.
- Allow the treats to cool before cutting.
Homemade Rice Krispie treats with chocolate chips have the best taste and texture when eaten the same day, but can be stored in airtight container for 2-3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 2g