It’s ridiculously easy to make the best chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream from scratch at home – with no churning or special gadgets required. Just cook, mix, and freeze!
Before you know it you’ll be enjoying rich, creamy ice cream loaded with decadent chunks of edible cookie dough.
I promise this homemade version of your favorite Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough Ice Cream is better than the original!
How Do You Make Edible Cookie Dough?
A great cookie dough ice cream is all about the cookie dough, obviously!
It should be creamy and sweet, with just a hint of that gritty, sugary texture you know and love. This cookie dough ice cream recipe is taken to a whole other level of amazingness when you use homemade edible cookie dough!
Get the full step-by-step easy recipe for making edible cookie dough from scratch, and then…
Ingredients to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
This recipe begins with a fantastically simple, luscious homemade vanilla ice cream base. It includes browned butter to perfectly compliment the chunks of cookie dough, and makes every delicious bite taste just like a cold and creamy chocolate chip cookie.
To make the cookie dough flavored ice cream you need:
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Salted butter
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract or paste
What is the Difference Between Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Paste?
Whether you should use vanilla paste or extract depends on how much true vanilla taste you want in the recipe. I am personally a big fan of concentrated vanilla paste, which has a very strong, sweet and deep vanilla flavor. I recommend Nielson-Massey or Cambie Confection for two great options!
For just a light hint of vanilla, use classic vanilla extract in this recipe. The Bourbon Vanilla Extract from Nielson-Massey is my favorite.
How Do You Make Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Scratch?
The first step for making Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough-style ice cream is to whip up a batch of homemade cookie dough, and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream recipe features a delicious browned butter vanilla ice cream base that goes perfectly with sweet chunks of cookie dough.
To make browned butter, simply cook butter in a skillet over low heat, until melted and lightly browned but not burned. It will have a lovely nutty smell when it’s just right.
Once the browned butter has completely cooled, stir in the brown sugar, vanilla, and sweetened condensed milk.
In the bowl of a standing mixer – or using a hand mixer – beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in half of the browned butter mixture until thoroughly combined, and then fold the second half of the mixture into the whipped cream.
If you haven’t yet, go ahead and chop your homemade cookie dough into nice little pieces.
Next, pour half of the ice cream base into a loaf pan. Add half of the cookie dough chunks, and/or half of whatever other mix-ins you like. Pour in the remaining ice cream mixture.
Add the rest of the cookie dough pieces on top.
Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips for an even more decadent chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream!
Cover the ice cream tightly with a lid or plastic wrap, and place in the freezer until firm.
What Other Mix-Ins Can You Add to Homemade Cookie Dough Ice Cream?
For absolutely hands-down the easiest version of this tasty cookie dough ice cream treat, feel free to use readymade edible dough, like Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough Chunks or Pillsbury’s “safe to eat” cookie doughs.
My scratch-made brown butter vanilla ice cream is perfect for loading with edible chocolate chip cookie dough, and any number of other sweet goodies! Try making this recipe with additional chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or crushed Oreos – or even a bit of peanut butter! – for some fun textures and scrumptious flavor variations.
Enjoy chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream as a yummy sundae with chocolate sauce and whipped cream, or serve in Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones for a super special treat.
You May Also Enjoy:
- Pink and White Circus Animals Cookies Ice Cream
- Cinnamon Roll Waffle Taco Dessert with Ice Cream
- 2-Ingredient Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Bread Recipe
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3 TB salted butter, browned
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- In a small saucepan, brown the butter over medium-low heat. Cook until the butter starts to turn light brown and has a nutty smell. Stir frequently to prevent overcooking. Transfer the browned butter to a small bowl to cool.
- After the browned butter is cool, stir in the brown sugar, vanilla and sweetened condensed milk until well combined. The butter must be cool or the ingredients will not come together.
- Add the heavy cream to a large bowl or stand mixer. Whip/beat until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add about half of the brown butter mixture to the whipped cream. Fold it in gently. Then repeat with the remaining brown butter mixture until all is incorporated into the whipped cream.
- Pour half of the mixture into a loaf pan or other similar-sized container. Add half of the cookie dough to the mixture by pinching off small pieces. If desired, gently swirl the dough balls into the bottom layer of ice cream. Pour the remaining ice cream mixture into the pan and add the remaining cookie dough chunks on top.
- Cover tightly and place in the freezer overnight or until firm.
Feel free to add your favorite extra goodies to this recipe!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.