You can’t go wrong with a classic dessert like banana nut muffins. This delicious recipe is simple and easy to follow. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack, a comforting breakfast or something special to take to a party, these banana nut muffins will hit the spot.
INgredients For BananA Nut Muffins
Making banana muffins from scratch is actually quite easy. You’ll need some basic ingredients that you most likely already have on hand.
- ripe bananas, mashed
- unsalted butter, melted
- white milk
- brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- walnuts (optional)
Tips For the Best Banana Nut Muffins
Use Ripe Bananas
Be sure to use ripe or overripe bananas. They will be very speckled, brown and definitely too soft to eat. The extra mushy texture makes them perfect for mashing up for this muffin recipe.
Use Your Favorite Nuts
This recipe calls for walnuts, but can use any favorite nuts. These muffins would be great with pecans, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts or even a combination.
If you don’t care for nuts or have allergy concerns, the nuts can be completely omitted from the recipe.
Add More Flavor
If you’d like your muffins to taste extra special, try adding a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg. You could also add some raisins or coconut for texture and flavor.
Add Chocolate Chips
Banana nut muffins are great with chocolate chips. You can use regular size chocolate chips or mini chips. You might even want to give butterscotch chips a try.
Substitute The Butter
Our recipe calls for unsalted butter, but you do have other options. You can substitute salted butter, vegetable oil, canola oil, coconut oil, olive oil or even applesauce.
How To Make BananA Nut Muffins
Follow the steps below to make delicious homemade banana walnut muffins in less than 30 minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a standard muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Add the mashed bananas, melted butter, and milk to a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla, and brown sugar.
4. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and fold in until just mixed.
5. Next, fold in the walnuts or other nuts of your choice. If you’d like to add chocolate chips, now would be the time to do that as well.
6. Fill muffin pan cups to about 4/5 full. Top with additional walnuts, if desired.
7. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
How To Store Banana Nut Muffins
These muffins will taste great for up to 3 days if stored properly. Put them in an airtight container at room temperature. Pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to enjoy warm.
You can also freeze these muffins. After they cool completely, wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then put them into freezer-safe bags. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You may also like: 15 Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
So, there you have it – a delicious and easy banana nut muffin recipe that is sure to please. Be sure to give them a try the next time you are in the mood for something sweet! Thanks for reading and happy baking!
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ c. unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ c. white milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped + extra to top muffins before baking, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a standard muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the mashed bananas, melted butter, and milk to a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients and fold in until just mixed. Then, fold in the walnuts.
- Fill muffin pan cups to about 4/5 full. Top with additional walnuts, if desired.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Micky Reed, a two-decade veteran in the food and baking industry, leverages her influential Three Snackateers food blog and Instagram presence to collaborate with industry giants like Ben & Jerry's and Crumbl Cookies. Her work has been featured on Delish, PopSugar and more. Her expertise as a product curator for one of the world's largest international snack subscription box companies solidifies her status as a key player in the field.